Slatted ceiling, steel / weld inspection, and a few steps closer

This weekend hit a few milestones. The city is requiring another engineer letter, this time for the steel. This means a third party inspection. The inspection was today, after the fabricators working late last night trying to finish the last of the stairwell work. They didn’t quite get there, but the inspector was impressed nonetheless. As a professional welding and steel inspector, he sees lots of projects. He said it all looked really good, so good in fact, that he couldn’t find anything negative. He said that the work was great and that it was very high quality.

I got another set of windows installed, this time on the second floor. Hopefully that will help keep the rain out when we get these storms.

After the foam was installed last week and it was cleaned up this week, I got the last of the acoustic insulation installed. Did I mention I finally got power connected?! That allowed me to buy and use a nice paint sprayer for the ceiling. Other than some problems with the fire retardant paint additive solidifying inside the sprayer, it made short work of spraying the ceiling. If I had estimated the volume of paint correctly, I could have knocked this out in just a couple of hours. But things often don’t go as planned. I saved the sprayer from the additive and finished it up in one day and even got the boxes for the ceiling speakers installed.

I spent quite a bit of time removing standing water from the roof, somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 gallons, based on how many times I needed to empty the 3 gallon shop vacuum. Once I got all the water off, I staged the material to build the joists. That’s going to have to wait until another weekend as it’s a big project.

After I beat myself up moving 35 16′ long 2×10’s and other material on the roof, I “took a break” and started on the slatted ceiling. With some careful planning, this went fairly quickly and I was able to get two thirds of the way done with that project in a few hours. I may leave the rest til later anyway so the inspectors can see under it. Turned out pretty well so far, hiding speakers, vents, and outlets.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s